Friday, July 10, 2009

Bengals Mike Brown Makes More Money Than Steelers Counterpart Dan Rooney (please do not laugh)


So I read about this story last night on AOL Fanhouse and got kind of pissed, but it was late and I was tired, so I went to bed.

Then I wake up this morning and the guys at Who Dey Revolution write something about it. As I read their take, I get even more pissed. So, instead of drowning my cat, I decided to write something about it myself...

Now, if you somehow managed to miss the headline, let me fill you in on the nature of this blog entry. Mike Brown, the awesomely successful General Manager/Guy that won't hire any scouts/Owner of the Bengals makes more money than the Steelers incredibly woeful Dan Rooney.

Wait, I think I completely butchered that. Let's try this again. Since 1991, when Mike Brown took over the Bengals GM/Owner spot, the Bengals have been to exactly zero Super Bowls while making one trip to the playoffs.

The Steelers on the other hand, have made three trips to the Super Bowl (winning two) and so many trips to the playoffs that I stopped keeping track in 1998.

So the shocker here is this, over the past two seasons, Mike Brown has made an average of about $2 million in salary while Dan Rooney has pulled in, wait, wait for it.... about $1.5 million per year.

Are you serious Mike Brown.

Rooney's numbers became public last week when he had to reveal his income as a stipulation for accepting his new job as Ambassador to Ireland.

This is absolutely nuts.

Imagine if I was directing a movie starring Paris Hilton and Meryl Streep and I was like, 'Look Meryl, we all know you've been nominated for a record 12 academy awards, but I think we're going to pay Paris more money, she's been in a Hardee's commercial, plus she has a cooler last name.' I'm thinking Meryl walks right off the set, the only question is if she runs over Paris Hilton with her hybrid on the way out.

Brown's salary was revealed by the Cincinnati Enquirer back in April. Since 1991 Brown has made anywhere between $2-2.6 million per year ($700,000 salary and a GM bonus that has fluctuated between $1.2-1.9 million since 1991).

I'm a Bengals fan, so I won't bash Brown completely, but if we're all lucky, a few Steelers fans will after they read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment